Stormy

Stormy

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Hair Incident of 2010


I'm a little ashamed to admit that while living in California, I did get caught up in the endless pursuit of beauty. I began waxing things that should never be waxed, had regular mani's and pedi's, sported acrylic nails for a period of time and spent $150 every 6 weeks to have my hair cut, coloured and highlighted at a fantastic salon in Carlsbad (Entourage Salon ) where the owners and girls working there were like a big family and you couldn't help but become part of it all. I loved it!

So, when I found out about the German move, I had serious reservations about how I was going to cope - style wise. I immediately decided I'd give up the acrylic nails, mani's and pedi's and gave serious thought to not getting my hair cut until we went home.

But, after 10 weeks in Europe, my hair had a different idea...

In an effort to ease into the transition to a new hair dresser, I took to the Internet to find out what other people do. Turns out 95% of the expats on line actually go back home to get their hair done in order to avoid the dreaded euro cut. While I did crunch the numbers to see how hard it would be to fly to San Diego 8 times a year, apparently it's not that practical (according to Mark anyway...sigh...)

But I was not to bet deterred! So when Mark came home from getting his hair cut down the street raving about the girl who speaks almost perfect English I decided I'd take a chance. (For the record, Mark has always had the same cut which can be described using clipper number lingo, however, he came home from this hair salon with it a little long on the top sporting the pseudo-faux-euro-Mohawk. It should have been my first clue...)

I walked in on my way back from class and it was pretty busy (usually a good sign right?) so I made an appointment for the next afternoon for a cut and colour.

The conversation upon arrival went something like this:

Her: So you lived in America?
Me: Yes, in California
Her: I've always wanted to visit America!
Me: Really where?
Her: Detroit...

Okay - Clue number 2! No one wants to visit Detroit!?! Not even our friend Jason - and he actually lives there! Apparently it was some sort of gangster Eminem thing for her... So...moving right along...

Her: So you want your hair the same colour?
Me: Yes, just something to cover the gray (yes I have lots of gray!) Will that work?
Her: Okay, but Really? You're hair colour is nice but it's a bit....boring...

What? ME! Boring?? Never!!

That was when it all went awry...

In an effort to reduce the boring factor, I suggested some red highlights. What then appeared before me were little hair swatches of varying shades of fuschia, so I gave up and picked one. It's not really clear on the photo, but trust me - they're there!

I then proceeded to explain that I have been trying to grow out my hair (like FOREVER!!) so PLEASE don't cut too much off. I have a lot of hair, so it needs to be layered to reduce bulk and usually it's cut in an angled bob a little longer in the front, with a longish bang to cover my massive forehead.

I really thought we connected. She seemed to understand! So for 2 hours I sat there while she proceeded to cut enough of my hair off that it no longer fits in a ponytail!

Finally, at the end of it, she asked what kind of styling tools I needed to blow dry my hair. I gave her a confused look until I looked around and realized the other ladies in the salon were drying their own hair! Really?!? Isn't the professional blowout one of the reasons we go to the salon?? Especially those of us with coarse questionably wavy hair!!?! So I politely said I'd let it air dry and tried to get outta there!

On the positive side - it only cost 46 Euros, which is cheap!

On the negative side - I have punk rock mom hair...

So, we will never speak of this again until the Hair Incident of 2012, because that's the next time I'm getting my hair cut. Gray hairs be damned!

But I really do need to get my legs waxed....I'm scared...

6 comments:

  1. Oh girl, I *know*. I KNOW. This subject is so near and dear to my heart. I haven't had a decent haircut since '99 and you don't even have to guess when I left the States, it's starin' at ya.

    I wish I could recommend someone but in all the time I've been here and the dozens upon dozens of cuts I've endured (<--not exaggeration for effect), all I've gotten are various stages of yeGads that's AWFUL!

    The famous German purply/fuschia red dye. Check. Old woman helmet head, in which I go in hoping for edgy + cool and come out with an 89 yr. old Putzfrau's head surgically attached to my neck. Then there's "Let's try a few highlights, OOPS, I'm fried". The ever-present Angular Bang. Encountering Ms. Overconfident/Pushy with her "I'm the stylist, I know what you'll look best in, no, don't talk, just sit there I know what I'm doing... hm... don't worry, it's only hair, it'll grow back out, would you like a discount?" Etc. to infinte loop.

    To counter I've tried color picture examples of the style I want. With numbered steps. I've done pencil drawings. Being firm. Giving in and pitching a fit in public. Memorizing salon-related adjectives and phrases in German. Tipping big. Crying. Prayer. I'm not joking about any of that. Nothing works. These people just don't know how to cut hair! It's simply not in them. Engineering - YES. Hairstyling - NO!

    They go to school and learn how to do one cut. Just one. Then they're graduated and proceed to inflict that cut - est. 1947 - on everyone they come in contact with from that point on, forever and ever amen. There is no such thing as continuing education among stylists in Germany.

    On the other hand, if you want to look just like Peggy Bundy in Married With Children, visit your friendly neighborhood Turkish salon. Which at first glance might not seem preferable, but trust me, compared to the alternative it *is*.

    As far as your legs are concerned, I suggest getting an epilator(25,-35,-Euros), posthaste, and doing them at home.

    p.s. sorry for the rant but this triggered a huge ongoing peeve of mine, and now I need to go do some deep-breathing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Bonnie, I have not read you until now, but we live in the same city. How about coffee one day? I can clue you into a great nail lady (clean and with a spa chair) and a decent hair person. You won't be rock star mommy but sadly, it's nothing like california. Highlights just cannot be done here.

    And lag waxing, wellll..... i know of good places in places not around here, like Berlin or Munich.
    anyway... Martina and Lisa are coming over in a couple of weeks. Care to join us?

    All the best,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bonnie, i know a great place in Frankfurt for waxing. I'm a wax/pedi/mani freak (theres no way i'd let a razor or epilady touch my body parts). The good news is, our options are getting better here, you should have seen it 5 yrs ago.

    I do have a decent stylist here. I still havent reached a point where i go in without fear, but she does excellent cuts and colour and EXACTLY what i tell her to do. It took me years of bad tries to find her though. You and Mark should come down for a visit and i'll hook you up.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you through Lisa's blog. It's not so horrible here in Switzerland if you're willing to cross the border...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually I thought you looked great yesterday very chic, but obviously blow dried by your very careful self. Just an idea but they may have an Aveda salon somewhere around as it's very European, I went to several over the years and they all produce excellent results.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shave it all off. It's worked for me for years.

    Footie

    ReplyDelete