Stormy

Stormy

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Regensburg





The best thing about the lovely historic town of Regensburg is that Mark is here for a work meeting, and my bestest friend from California, Lauren, is here as well!

And not only did she bring her lovely self, but she also brought, all the way from San Diego, 2 big bags of Cheetos and 2 big bags of Munchies (seriously Germany, what is up with the Paprika chips?!?!)

I was specifically informed by Lauren that she is sick and tired of looking at a picture of a toilet every time she opens this site (sorry dear!) so with orange dusted Cheetos fingers, I say goodbye to the shelf toilet...

And what better pictures to replace the toilet but the lovely historic town of Regensburg.

Despite the rain and chill, while Mark and Lauren were busy at work, I've ventured out on my own to see the sights. The Dom St Peter was a definite must see and since it's smack dab in the centre of town, became my beacon in the sky so I didn't get lost (I have absolutely no sense of direction!!)

The Schloss Thurn und Taxis was my next stop and while I was too early for the guided museum tour, I wandered the grounds happily and toured through St. Emmeram's Church (a former Benedictine monastery). I was the only one there and I've gotta say it was a little eerie listening to my footsteps echo down the empty aisles.

Back across town to the Steinerne Brucke (stone bridge), at one time the only fortified crossing of the Danube, a cafe latte by the river and back to the hotel for a nap.

In my travels, I did manage to buy a lovely pair of winter boots (thanks Mark!) and found an Aveda hair salon. Despite the results of the hair incident of 2010, I have made an appointment for tomorrow for a cut and colour in the morning (pray for me!).

Afterwards, the plan is for lunch at the Historische Wurstkuche for the best sausages in Bavaria and then a 2pm tour of the Altes Rathaus (old Town Hall) and Reichstagsmuseum which, according to my Lonley Planet guide includes "the original torture chambers in the basement...with tools such as the rack, the Spanish Donkey (a tall wooden wedge on which naked men were made to sit (!!) and spiked chairs."

So between the Aveda salon and interrogation room, tomorrow might be a tough day...

Can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't made it to Regensburg yet, but I've heard it's beautiful and you've got great photos! I'm so jealous of the chips though! I miss "normal" chips and rootbeer!

    ReplyDelete