Stormy

Stormy

Monday, July 19, 2010

Best Vet EVER

First of all, my Stormy bear is a monster of the first degree when he goes to the vet. Our last vet in California, who was great, decided on day one that she was no longer going to see our precious baby without a heavy dose of sedatives (for the cat, not her). So began a series of vet visits over 2 years that never cost less than $300.

Stormy's adjustment to Germany has been slow to say the least, and given his apparent liver issues (as seen before leaving CA), it was imperative that we find a reliable vet ASAP who spoke enough English that I could explain his abundant history (blood work, ultrasound results and on and on...) and who would be able to explain to me what was going on (yes, I'm one of THOSE pet owners who needs to be involved in every detail, and yes I do think that just because I have a Bachelor's degree in Biochemistry, I know everything there is to know about cat anatomy. Really it's a wonder no vet has yet refused to see me without a heavy dose of sedatives!)

So, the search for a reliable vet began. We were unfortunately thrown off track slightly after Stormy refused to eat anything for 2 days and in a desperate attempt to keep him alive, we went to the vet around the corner who spoke not a word of English. While she did give him a shot that allowed him to eat (God bless her for that!) she flaked on our recheck and apparently no longer worked at the practice when we returned.

Anyway, after much searching online, I found an "All Cats" practice in Oberursel. On paper (read internet), they had all my must haves - website seemed top notch, fancy pictures of the practice showed abundant happy staff, sunny waiting rooms, and for Stormy - no dogs! I tentatively sent an e-mail asking if any of the vets spoke English. Within 20 minutes, I received a response, from the vet himself, that he did speak English. One more e-mail and we had an appointment at 4pm today. I was sold!

Although the location was a bit far - 30 minute drive with a little traffic - it was totally worth it! Sunny waiting room, happy staff (who already knew I was English, by the way and I was able to avoid the awkward - Verstien sie Englisch?). And Dr. Michael was lovely. Despites Stormy's monsterousness (word?) Dr. Michael was able to examine him, get blood, and run the labs on site in 20 minutes! He spent lots of time answering my abundance of questions and didn't seem one bit annoyed!

Although we are still short of a diagnosis (apparently it is not uncommon for cats to suffer from liver issues of unknown cause), we have a course of treatment (antibiotics and steroids - Stormy's thinking of taking up body building) and follow ups scheduled accordingly. Also, he was able to get blood for the rabies titer for his EU/UK passport and recommend a cat sitting service. Not a single sedative required!

SOOO - looking for an excellent vet in the Frankfurt area for your cat - look no further than Katezin-Praxis and Dr. Michael Streicher.

He's a life saver - just ask Stormy!

No comments:

Post a Comment