Stormy

Stormy

Monday, July 26, 2010

Insert Roman cliche here...





So, I was going to title the post "When in Rome..." or "All roads lead to Rome..." or "Roman Holiday..." but I suppose it's been done and done again, so I will let you decide on the most appropriate Roman cliche!

The weekend plans were to drive to Strasbourg with our newly purchased travel guide (in French I might add...oui oui) but a last minute opportunity presented itself that we couldn't pass up. Our dear friends C&C from California were in Rome for 3 days so we decided, what the hell, let's hop on the plane and join them for dinner.

Quick search and we found flights on Swiss air for 300 Euros return, a hotel around the corner from the Lakey's and a train ride to the city for 11 Euros each. Off we went!

This did mean leaving Stormy at home unattended for 36 hours, which was a little unnerving but again what the hell! We threw his pills down his throat before we left and hoped for the best. (Incidentally, he was quite content sleeping on the couch in his underwear when we got home, surrounded by empty junk food wrappers so I think he had a good weekend!)

Because of the last minute flights, we did have a quick stop over in Zurich (which in the future, we must avoid - direct flights only!). One thing I will say about Swiss air, however, is they serve the BEST Swiss chocolate EVER! I had to take a picture. And, I got Star Alliance miles so I'm well on my way to renewing Premiere Executive status (aka free upgrades to business class!)

A quick train ride to the city and a (long) walk to our hotel and we arrived in Roma! It was a beautiful, rather hot day, but the city was wonderful. We spent the afternoon on the Green Line Tour, a 2 hour bus tour, to see the highlights, and then dinner with the Lakey's for proper Italian!

Sunday morning we hit the Colosseum (I highly recommend paying the extra for a guided tour - the tour was crap, but you skip the 1 hour line just to get through the gates...totally worth it!).

A quick metro ride back to the hotel (an experience I will smell for years to come) to pick up our bags and then off we were home.

I can now say I went to Rome...for dinner.

2 years, 100 weekend trips to plan. 1 down, 99 to go.

Next weekend, Luxembourg to see the Pogues play (assuming Shane McGowan doesn't die before then!) Must start planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment