Stormy

Stormy

Friday, July 9, 2010

Germany - the early days



If 2 days of company provided cultural connection training taught me anything it was that moving across the world is hard and don't dwell on the negative. So here is my attempt not to dwell on the negative...

We arrived safely and on time at our destination. Stormy weathered the trip as well as can be expected. The vet decided to give him a new sedative (torb) instead of the usual (Acevet). Not such a great move. We arrived at the security gate where he needed to be removed from his carrier and carried (ie wrestled) through the metal detectors. A bloody match ensued (I have the scars to prove it!). Cleary, not so much sedated. The ATA officer standing on the otherside of the detector asked nervously if I could remove his harness and leash before walking through the detector. What I wanted to say was "Sure - if you want a terrified black cat running wild through you airport, crazy lady!" but instead, politely said no, and agreed that if I set off the detector we would submit to secondary screening. Luckily, Stormy did not set off any detectors, was quickly returned to his carrier and off we went.

As expected, we were upgraded to business on the first flight so were able to drink our share of wine in preparation for the second flight. No upgrade on the second(because of the cat...Stormy was very upset since he is used to flying in style) but the flight was empty so we were able to spread out a bit.

Upon arrival, not a single German customs person was to be seen so despite our best efforts at showing someone Stormy's "passport" we ended up bringing him into the country without inspection. I feel a bit like an animal smuggler (and I also wasted $35 on USDA endorsement!) but better to be prepared than not.

When we arrived at our new apartment the rental furniture truck was already there to greet us (although I don't think the movers were too plased at having to lug everything up 3 flights of stairs!).

Our settling in has not been without glitches - no internet, phone or fridge until next week, no washer/dryer until we order one (please come next week! I'm quickly running out of clean clothes and it's very hot and sticky here!), no cold water in the kitchen for the first week, no working dishwasher at this time, and until yesterday, no english TV except CNN. That one nearly killed me! I can only take so much of the same top stories over and over again (although I did catch Larry King's interview with Lindsay Lohan's father about her jail sentence. Rivetting. I miss California!) In an attempt to keep me from getting on a plane for Canada (my bags are still technically packed...) Mark was able to rig up some kind of satellite which gives me free to air UK TV. I've never appreciated reruns of Star Trek as much as I do now (Captain Kirk - your such an alien ladies man!).

Our landlord is a lovely man who is generous with invites to local bars to watch football (hence the pictures - sorry Germany!!) and has much advice on where to go (I think he wants to take us wine tasting in Burgundy - which is nice, but a little forward? Have I become that American?). I'm just hoping he might be able to help with the appliance situation with the same enthusiam!

Mark has returned to work on and off, leaving me to my own devices (not always a good thing). I have now driven a car on tiny German roads (also, not always a good thing) so I'll let you know when my first accident and/or speeding ticket arrives. I kind of always forget the no right on red thing...

We've found a gym and a Starbucks with free wifi (hence the update) so my next challenge will be finding German language classes and friends. I've even considered looking for a job (although I'm not that desperate...yet...)

But who knows what may happen! It'll get better...right?

No comments:

Post a Comment