Stormy

Stormy

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

God Bless The Rain (and Internet!)

I'm currently at home living through my first German thunder storm and my first storm in at least 5 years (since I left Canada).

I used to hate thunderstorms, but the heat here has been unbearable (30C +) since we arrived so I'm glad that the air has cooled down some and we might actually get some relief. I really don't understand what the German's have against air conditioning! (oops - negative... I'll try to keep that to a minimum!)

Poor Stormy has not weathered the move well and has decided to stop eating. Apparently he also hates thunderstorms and is hiding behind the couch. Hopefully he will come out when the air cools off? Or he can chase the moths that have made their home in our apartment (again, what do people have against window screens??!)

Our first week in Darmstadt is finally complete and we have tried to settle in as best we can. We have a working dishwasher, dryer (but no washer so really what's the point?) and a very large "American" fridge that our landlord ordered but that still needs to be hooked up to the water source to produce ice. Apparently there are parts missing. At least it can be plugged in and keeps things cold!

We find a great British pub around the corner owned by an Indian couple who have been her for 25 years or more. They have Magners and Guinness on tap, the best curry dishes in the country and speak amazing English (super bonus!) so hopefully we can become regulars.

Our internet has been set up (I was so relieved I almost cried - for the 97th time since we arrived!) so I can now waste my time on Facebook and job hunting (with no intention of ever getting a job!) while mark is at work supporting us!

We started to do a little travel over the weekend. We drove to France (Vive la France!) because I begged Mark to take me to a country where I spoke the language. It was oppresively hot there as well, but they have wonderful supermarkets and Hagueneau has good ice cream so it was worth the trip.

We also took the train to Frankfurt, which means I may actually be mobile now! I kind of liked Frankfurt and have decided it is the place I will find German language training and possibly go back to school...or get a job...or go back to school...or be on vacation for 2 years? We'll see...

Must make plans for next weekend getaway. Perhaps a trip to somewhere cool? (never thought I'd say that!)

No comments:

Post a Comment